ERWIN, Tenn. - There is big news for a major East Tennessee employer -- Nuclear Fuel Services has been awarded two new contracts for fuel and material services from the United States Department of Energy.
The contracts are worth roughly $302 million.
The first contract is a one-year deal which includes the manufacture and delivery of fuel for the Navy's nuclear propulsion program. NFS has been the sole manufacturer of nuclear fuel for the U.S. Navy's fleet of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and submarines since 1964.
The second contract provides for the development of material for future Naval reactor programs.
work under the contracts will be performed at NFS facilities in Erwin.
According to company officials, NFS employs a full-time workforce of approximately 1,000 people, including long-term contractors and security personnel.
- Updated Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire