ERWIN, Tenn. - There is big news for a major East Tennessee employer -- Nuclear Fuel Services has been awarded two new contracts for fuel and material services from the United States Department of Energy.
The contracts are worth roughly $302 million.
The first contract is a one-year deal which includes the manufacture and delivery of fuel for the Navy's nuclear propulsion program. NFS has been the sole manufacturer of nuclear fuel for the U.S. Navy's fleet of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and submarines since 1964.
The second contract provides for the development of material for future Naval reactor programs.
work under the contracts will be performed at NFS facilities in Erwin.
According to company officials, NFS employs a full-time workforce of approximately 1,000 people, including long-term contractors and security personnel.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane