UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - The budget debate in Unicoi County continued Tuesday afternoon, but no decision was made on the Sheriff Department's budget.
Most of the two and a half hour meeting concerned the funding for county courts. Two of the budget committee members left the meeting before the Sheriff's budget was brought up so the remaining members decided to table the discussion until all members are present on Wednesday.
Chief Deputy Frank Rogers spoke up asking for the almost $400,000 they requested to prevent personnel cuts and purchase new vehicles.
"Just last week a steering wheel fell off while a deputy was driving his car," said Rogers. "It's a risk that we shouldn't ask the officers to take."
Budget discussions will continue on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. at the Unicoi County courthouse.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon