UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - The budget debate in Unicoi County continued Tuesday afternoon, but no decision was made on the Sheriff Department's budget.
Most of the two and a half hour meeting concerned the funding for county courts. Two of the budget committee members left the meeting before the Sheriff's budget was brought up so the remaining members decided to table the discussion until all members are present on Wednesday.
Chief Deputy Frank Rogers spoke up asking for the almost $400,000 they requested to prevent personnel cuts and purchase new vehicles.
"Just last week a steering wheel fell off while a deputy was driving his car," said Rogers. "It's a risk that we shouldn't ask the officers to take."
Budget discussions will continue on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. at the Unicoi County courthouse.
- Updated BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Updated Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview