UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - A victory for former Unicoi County Sheriff Kent Harris ended in a financial loss for the county.
There were three trials: the first two ended in hung juries and the third was dismissed. Unicoi County was left with an estimated $28,000 bill for the trials.
Clerk Darren Shelton says the first two trials cost about $10,000 each with jurors paid $11 a day for three days. The third trial was only two days and cost Unicoi County about $8,000.
Shelton told us that trial costs also include lunch for all jurors and postage for jury summons.
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31
- Tennessee's Education Commissioner visits local schools
- Medical treatment of accused Volunteer Parkway shooter burdensome