UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - After years of waiting and community anticipation, a new assisted living facility opened in Unicoi County Tuesday.
The Governor's Bend assisted living facility welcomed its first patients Tuesday.
The center has been under construction for the last three years. It's owned by Freewill Baptist Family Ministries and was build partially through a state grant.
"There was a study done that showed there was a need and the community rallied around it," says executive director Johnnie Lyons. "I have deposits I've had since I came on board it's been three years now waiting on this."
The center offers more than 50 apartment-style living spaces. It's licensed to house just over 100 residents.
Several of the spaces are already full.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon