UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - After years of waiting and community anticipation, a new assisted living facility opened in Unicoi County Tuesday.
The Governor's Bend assisted living facility welcomed its first patients Tuesday.
The center has been under construction for the last three years. It's owned by Freewill Baptist Family Ministries and was build partially through a state grant.
"There was a study done that showed there was a need and the community rallied around it," says executive director Johnnie Lyons. "I have deposits I've had since I came on board it's been three years now waiting on this."
The center offers more than 50 apartment-style living spaces. It's licensed to house just over 100 residents.
Several of the spaces are already full.
- New Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- New Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31