NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A Tennessee school teacher accused of kidnapping his 15-year-old student and repeatedly having sex with her while fleeing to California is due in a federal courtroom in Nashville on Friday.
Federal prosecutors have asked that Tad Cummins remain jailed until trial, arguing that he's a flight risk and a danger to the community.
The 50-year-old teacher will have a detention hearing to decide whether he should be held or granted bail.
The married father of two faces a federal charge of bringing a minor across state lines for sex. He faces a minimum of 10 years in prison and a maximum of a life sentence.
He also faces state charges of aggravated kidnapping and sexual contact with a minor after allegedly taking the student March 13.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Weekend Drive: Dolly Parton's Smoky Mountain Adventures Christmas Show
- Police: Multiple officers injured after shooting in Georgia
- Science Hill parents react to news of former booster president stealing money
- Speedway in Lights illuminating the night sky for opening night
- Speedway in Lights: new light displays and old favorites