Tennessee State Parks will sponsor free guided hikes on New Year's Day.
Each state park will host its own special 'First Hike' in the first few days of the new year as part of the quarterly hikes program.
The 2014 First Hikes are designed for all ages and abilities. Some hikes will be approximately one mile in length and tailored for novice hikers, while others are longer and geared toward more experienced hikers.
Tennessee State Parks First Hikes of 2014 are part of the America's State Parks First Day Hikes initiative in all 50 states.
The local parks participating include Roan Mountain State Park and Sycamore Shoals in Carter County, Warriors' Path in Kingsport, and Davy Crockett Birthplace in Washington County.
- New Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin