A Tennessee man has been charged with criminal homicide in the death of a 16-month-old child.
News outlets report 24-year-old Kortney Stanciel was initially arrested April 16 for aggravated child abuse.
Millersville detective Don Long says the child was taken off life support April 27 and on the same day Stanciel's charges were upgraded to homicide in the death of the infant girl. Long says Stanciel confessed to unintentionally harming the child.
Police say Stanciel squeezed and shook the child to keep her from crying. The child suffered bleeding from the brain and seizure disorder.
Stanciel is being held without bond at the Robertson County Jail and is scheduled to appear in court May 9. It's unclear if he has a lawyer.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sullivan County breaks ground on new middle school; changes coming for Kingsport schools
- Updated UPDATE: Former ETSU men's tennis coach indicted for forgery, theft
- Preliminary hearing held for man accused of beating Carter County woman to death
- Bristol city leaders confirm Hobby Lobby to come to The Falls
- Sullivan South teacher charged with unlawful photographing