NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The financial situations of teachers across the Volunteer State could be growing very soon.
Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam is pledging to improve the salaries of the state's teachers by the time he leaves office. Governor Haslam says his administration will review national state-by-state salary data each year to ensure Tennessee's teacher salaries are just as competitive.
According to data from the National Education Association, the average national salary for classroom teachers is $56,383, compared with $48,289 in Tennessee.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport