CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - Hundreds of jobs are being eliminated at a Tennessee assembly plant.
Chattanooga's Volkswagen plant announced it is dropping the third assembly shift, getting rid of 500 temporary jobs.
The company's spokesman says strong domestic demand led to the third shift workforce addition, but an increase in efficiency has decreased the need for the added shift.
Volkswagen says the change takes effect May 13th.
- New Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- New Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31