LOUDON, Tenn. - Officials are investigating what happened leading up to the death of a person while in Tennessee Highway Patrol custody in Loudon County.
Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokesman Josh DeVine said the death happened after the person became "combative" following a chase on Interstate 40 Friday afternoon.
DeVine says the arrest happened around 3:15 p.m. at mile marker 368 near the intersection of I-40 East and I-75.
Officials identified the deceased as 33-year-old Kevin Courtner.
Highway Patrol Sgt. Bill Miller declined to discuss the case and referred all questions to the TBI.
District Attorney General Russell Johnson requested the investigation.
- New Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial