KINGSPORT, Tenn. - A widespread power outage caused Eastman Chemical Company to shut down its plant operations Wednesday morning in Kingsport.
Eastman spokesman Brad Lifford said wastewater spilled into the Holston River during a power outage. They have not determined how many gallons spilled, but do not believe the spill will cause harm to anyone.
The company said in a statement they lost power around 10:00 a.m. Wednesday and are currently trying to find out what happened.
Company officials say they immediately notified local, state, and federal authorities about the unplanned shutdown.
Community members may also receive updates by calling the Eastman Care Line at (423) 229-2273.
- Updated Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project