BLOUNTVILLE, Tenn. - An alarming discovery was made at the Tri-Cities Regional Airport Monday -- a TSA agent found two loaded guns at the airport checkpoint.
Agents say a passenger was stopped after a .38-caliber and a .22-caliber gun were discovered in a carry-on bag.
The passenger was cited by local police and faces criminal charges, as well as possible civil penalties from the TSA.
Firearms may be transported in checked baggage as long as they are declared to the airline; they must also be in a proper carrying case and be unloaded.
They are prohibited in carry-on bags.
- Court: Greeneville bank manager embezzled more than $1 million
- Local police agencies offering drug take-back services Saturday
- Domtar announces reduced production at Kingsport plant
- Virginia voter registration deadline extended through Friday
- School board picks plan for new Boone's Creek school, discusses redistricting issue