KINGSPORT, Tenn. - As part of fire prevention week, some school kids in Kingsport learned a few serious lessons about fire safety today. But that doesn't mean it wasn't fun.
There were plenty of belly laughs going on at the Sullivan West Volunteer Fire Department Thursday morning as the kids belly crawled their way to safety. A smoke machine and different scenarios helped the third graders from Sullivan Elementary learn the importance of having a plan in case of a fire emergency.
One tip the firefighters stress is that once you're safely out of a burning house, never go back in. "You can't go back inside to get your pets or anything because if you go back in, there's a chance you're not coming out," said third grader Ethan Lawson.
The students also got to check out a fire hose. "I didn't know a fire hose could shoot so much, so far," said Austin Riner.
Firefighters also reminded the students about the importance of having smoke detectors and testing them regularly. According to the National Fire Protection Association, almost two-thirds of reported home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
- Updated Kingsport City Schools unveils new DB Excel facility
- Updated Northeast State Student Veterans of America raising awareness about veteran suicides
- New Bluff City Rescue launches 'Buck for a Truck' campaign
- New Grant deadline approaches to expand Birthplace of Country Music Museum
- Women's Facebook warning goes viral