SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - There's a new man running the Sullivan County Highway Department.
County mayor Steve Godsey has asked Jim Montgomery to run the department for now. Former interim commissioner Terry Shaffer's last day was Monday.
The day he announced his retirement was the same day the District Attorney told News 5 the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations was looking into 'irregularities' within the department. Click here to read more.
Godsey tells us, "Jim's been over there for thirty-plus years. Jim seems to be one of the senior members of the team over there. I just asked Jim if he wouldn't mind to keep an eye on the place and make sure people get out and do their job."
The County Commission will appoint an Interim Commissioner when they meet in January. So far six people have picked up petitions to run for that office.
The election is in August.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport