SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - There's a new man running the Sullivan County Highway Department.
County mayor Steve Godsey has asked Jim Montgomery to run the department for now. Former interim commissioner Terry Shaffer's last day was Monday.
The day he announced his retirement was the same day the District Attorney told News 5 the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations was looking into 'irregularities' within the department. Click here to read more.
Godsey tells us, "Jim's been over there for thirty-plus years. Jim seems to be one of the senior members of the team over there. I just asked Jim if he wouldn't mind to keep an eye on the place and make sure people get out and do their job."
The County Commission will appoint an Interim Commissioner when they meet in January. So far six people have picked up petitions to run for that office.
The election is in August.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City