SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - There's a new man running the Sullivan County Highway Department.
County mayor Steve Godsey has asked Jim Montgomery to run the department for now. Former interim commissioner Terry Shaffer's last day was Monday.
The day he announced his retirement was the same day the District Attorney told News 5 the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations was looking into 'irregularities' within the department. Click here to read more.
Godsey tells us, "Jim's been over there for thirty-plus years. Jim seems to be one of the senior members of the team over there. I just asked Jim if he wouldn't mind to keep an eye on the place and make sure people get out and do their job."
The County Commission will appoint an Interim Commissioner when they meet in January. So far six people have picked up petitions to run for that office.
The election is in August.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect