SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - There's a new man running the Sullivan County Highway Department.
County mayor Steve Godsey has asked Jim Montgomery to run the department for now. Former interim commissioner Terry Shaffer's last day was Monday.
The day he announced his retirement was the same day the District Attorney told News 5 the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations was looking into 'irregularities' within the department. Click here to read more.
Godsey tells us, "Jim's been over there for thirty-plus years. Jim seems to be one of the senior members of the team over there. I just asked Jim if he wouldn't mind to keep an eye on the place and make sure people get out and do their job."
The County Commission will appoint an Interim Commissioner when they meet in January. So far six people have picked up petitions to run for that office.
The election is in August.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend