BLUFF CITY, TENN. - The Sullivan County Sheriffs office is investigating a very unusual case. Someone stole the flagpole from the Sullivan East softball field.
The aluminum pole once stood just outside the fence at the girls softball field. Sometime after sundown Tuesday night, pole was broken off at the base and hauled away.
Leslie Earhart of the sheriff's office, believes the thieves took the pole so they can sell the aluminum for scrap. "Metal thefts are not uncommon, we have had a variety of things stolen." said Earhart. "Everything from aluminum cans to mailboxes, you name it and if its metal, its been stolen."
Earhart says that local scrap yards have been notified to be on the lookout
for someone selling aluminum. The thieves could face felony charges
if the value of the flagpole exceeds 500 dollars.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial