BLUFF CITY, TENN. - The Sullivan County Sheriffs office is investigating a very unusual case. Someone stole the flagpole from the Sullivan East softball field.
The aluminum pole once stood just outside the fence at the girls softball field. Sometime after sundown Tuesday night, pole was broken off at the base and hauled away.
Leslie Earhart of the sheriff's office, believes the thieves took the pole so they can sell the aluminum for scrap. "Metal thefts are not uncommon, we have had a variety of things stolen." said Earhart. "Everything from aluminum cans to mailboxes, you name it and if its metal, its been stolen."
Earhart says that local scrap yards have been notified to be on the lookout
for someone selling aluminum. The thieves could face felony charges
if the value of the flagpole exceeds 500 dollars.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day