BLUFF CITY, TENN. - The Sullivan County Sheriffs office is investigating a very unusual case. Someone stole the flagpole from the Sullivan East softball field.
The aluminum pole once stood just outside the fence at the girls softball field. Sometime after sundown Tuesday night, pole was broken off at the base and hauled away.
Leslie Earhart of the sheriff's office, believes the thieves took the pole so they can sell the aluminum for scrap. "Metal thefts are not uncommon, we have had a variety of things stolen." said Earhart. "Everything from aluminum cans to mailboxes, you name it and if its metal, its been stolen."
Earhart says that local scrap yards have been notified to be on the lookout
for someone selling aluminum. The thieves could face felony charges
if the value of the flagpole exceeds 500 dollars.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting