There are big leadership issues now for the Sullivan County Property Assessor's office.
Newly-appointed property assessor Bob White has resigned just four days after taking the position. He had been on the county commission, but resigned to take the $90,000 assessor's position.
There was some question about whether he might also keep his full time job in the private sector. Whether that led to his resignation isn't known.
Assistant Property Assessor Randy Morrell who also wanted to take the top job has also just retired.
County Mayor Richard Venable describes the office staff as "deflated" as county leaders try and determine their next step.
The sudden turn of events for the elected office comes after former assessor Ron Hillman, 64, died last month at his home.
- Crews out in force to keep roads safe Friday
- Scott County woman plays role of Santa Claus; distributes hundreds of presents to kids in need
- Sheriff: Homicide victim identified in Hawkins County
- Chilhowie's 1970 state championship team ready to 'pass the torch'
- Police: Former Abingdon Ambulance Service employee charged with morphine theft