SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - The Interim Sullivan County Highway Commissioner has informed the county he plans to retire amid an investigation into his department.
We learned Terry Shaffer will retire officially on December 23. The department is he heads is currently under a TBI investigation.
District Attorney General Barry Staubus would not comment on the exact nature of the investigation, but did tell News 5 it deals with irregularities within the highway department. "The information came to me and as a result of that I asked that an independent investigation be done by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, that investigation is ongoing," said Barry Staubus, the Sullivan County District Attorney.
Staubus tells us the investigation should be complete by February.
Shaffer was appointed as interim commissioner by Sullivan County Mayor Steve Godsey in February 2011, following the conviction of then-highway commissioner Alan Pope on official misconduct charges.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next