SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - There's been a rash of burglaries in Sullivan County.
The sheriff's office tells us the thieves have been targeting the Piney Flats and Bluff City areas, and they're after specific items.
Since May 31, deputies tell us there have been 24 burglaries in those areas, and they believe more than half could be related. The burglars have going in through the back door by either kicking it in or prying it open.
Then they go straight to the master bedroom to take jewelry, cash and guns. They've been bypassing pricey electronics.
The Lamberts learned the hard way. Their home on Ryder Church Road was hit a couple of weeks ago. "It's been a terrible terrible thing to go through," says Teddie Lambert.
The thieves got away with jewelry. "It's hard. I had personal things that belonged to my mom that can never be replaced," says Lambert.
It's the same case for the Roberts' home, which was ransacked last week. The burglars again didn't take electronics, but instead took jewelry, cash and the family's car and motorcycle. "It made me sick to my stomach," says Bill Roberts.
The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office is investigating the rash of burglaries.
They're upping patrols in the area to hopefully catch whoever is doing this.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day