SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Sullivan County help a swearing in ceremony today for new county commissioners and a newly elected mayor.
There are nine new commissioners on the 24 person commission.
The new commission has several things to handle, including settling a wrongful termination suit involving county highway workers.
The new mayor is a familiar face. Richard Venable is back in office; he was previously the mayor from 2002 to 2006.
News 5 talked to Venable about what the commission needs to do to get started. "We've got some challenges and the first thing we need to do is when we earn each others' respect. That's not given easily, but we will earn each others' respect and in the process earn the community's respect."
Venable says that he and the commission will be busy for the next few weeks organizing committees.
- New ETSU student reports she was sexually assaulted on campus
- Updated Food City and United Way begin annual program to help feed children
- Updated Jail inmates escape in Hawkins County
- Deer feeding prohibited in Virginia starting September 1
- Select children's tickets to be $10 for Cup Series events at Bristol Motor Speedway