SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Sullivan County help a swearing in ceremony today for new county commissioners and a newly elected mayor.
There are nine new commissioners on the 24 person commission.
The new commission has several things to handle, including settling a wrongful termination suit involving county highway workers.
The new mayor is a familiar face. Richard Venable is back in office; he was previously the mayor from 2002 to 2006.
News 5 talked to Venable about what the commission needs to do to get started. "We've got some challenges and the first thing we need to do is when we earn each others' respect. That's not given easily, but we will earn each others' respect and in the process earn the community's respect."
Venable says that he and the commission will be busy for the next few weeks organizing committees.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend