SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Sullivan County help a swearing in ceremony today for new county commissioners and a newly elected mayor.
There are nine new commissioners on the 24 person commission.
The new commission has several things to handle, including settling a wrongful termination suit involving county highway workers.
The new mayor is a familiar face. Richard Venable is back in office; he was previously the mayor from 2002 to 2006.
News 5 talked to Venable about what the commission needs to do to get started. "We've got some challenges and the first thing we need to do is when we earn each others' respect. That's not given easily, but we will earn each others' respect and in the process earn the community's respect."
Venable says that he and the commission will be busy for the next few weeks organizing committees.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash