KINGSPORT, Tenn. - UPDATE 6-9-14: The Sullivan County Sheriff's office says the victim's father parked his Chevy S10 truck in front of the Dollar General Store on New Beason Well Road.
While he was inside the store the vehicle began rolling backward with the 7-year old girl still inside.
The vehicle proceeded to roll down the parking lot and continued to roll South on New Beason Well Road before running off the roadway and striking a guardrail and road sign.
The victim was attempting to get out of the vehicle when it struck the guardrail and sign.
At this time the incident remains under investigation.
UPDATE: The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office has identified the seven-year-old girl who was killed in a crash on New Beason Well Road as Eva Marie Wagers.
Investigators are still trying to determine what caused the crash.
ORIGINAL STORY: A 7-year-old girl has died following a car crash in Kingsport.
The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office tells us it happened just before 1:30 Saturday afternoon on New Beason Well Road.
Deputies tell us one car was involved.
We're told the girl was taken to Holston Valley Medical Center where she died a short time later. Her name has not been released.
Investigators tell us they will be working throughout the weekend to figure out how the crash happened.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death