SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - A 65-year-old man is brutally beaten inside his Sullivan County home.
Deputies say John Byrd was hurt so badly he had to be rushed to the hospital, where he got over 100 stitches. "My husband went down to the hospital at 4 to check on him because they said he might not make it," says Regina Kitzmiller, a neighbor.
Detectives aren't releasing many details, but say Byrd remembers being hit in the head, but doesn't know what type of weapon the attacker used to beat him.
"The police said it looked like a murder scene, there was so much blood," says Kitzmiller.
Officers believe he lay inside his house, in and out of consciousness, for more than an hour before being able to call the sheriff's office. "The victim lost a lot of blood. He's lucky that he survived and was eventually able to call for help," says Leslie Earhart with the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
The sheriff's office tells us Byrd was likely targeted because someone found out he had prescribed painkillers. The pills had been stolen.
Deputies are asking for anyone with any information to contact them.
Byrd has been released from the hospital.
- Updated BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Updated Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview