SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Heavy flooding forced safety crews to close off 34 roads in Sullivan County Wednesday night.
Rescue crews were called out to Buncombe Road after a driver tried to test the high water.
The Avoca Volunteer Fire Department was one of the emergency crews that responded.
They say the driver is ok, but the water continued to rise to about three feet deep.
Firefighter Chris Toulin said, "If there is severe flooding advisories coming out don't take a chance on going down roads that are probably flooded; if it looks bad then it probably is".
Toulin also said to be more cautious at night because it is harder to tell how high the water is in the dark.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting