KINGSPORT, Tenn. - We talked to a recovering drug addict who told us addiction is a cycle that's almost impossible to break with the current system.
David Ray is 31 years old and spent more than 15 years doing pills, cocaine and crack.
"Go to jail for a little while, go back on probation. [If] I'm a drug addict, if you send me to jail for a week or two, all that goes on there is a bunch of talk about what you're going to do when you get out," said Ray.
He did eventually get clean, but he told us it wasn't because of jail. We'll tell you about Ray's recovering on Thursday.
This is an issue state leaders will address at a conference in Knoxville on Thursday afternoon.
News 5 WCYB's Callan Gray will have live updates from the meeting. You can follow her on Twitter at @wcyb_gray.
- New KISS concert in Manchester canceled after terrorist attacks
- New Tennessee governor signs NRA-backed metal detector gun bill
- New Former Texas nurse accused of killing dozens of kids in '80s
- UPDATE: Johnson County juvenile pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Muslim man sues Little Caesars over pizza labeled 'halal'