SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Longtime Sullivan County Commissioner Wayne McConnell died Saturday night.
Sullivan County Mayor Steve Godsey confirmed the news Sunday evening.
McConnell served on the county commission for more than 25 years.
According to Oak Hill Funeral Home in Kingsport, visitation will be held from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday.
Funeral services will be conducted at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 in the J. Wayne Hamilton Memorial Chapel of Oak Hill Funeral Home.
Graveside services will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday in Oak Hill Memorial Park.
Sullivan County Sheriff Wayne Anderson released a statement about McConnell's death: "He was an awesome employee as well as a great friend. As a commissioner he always stood up for the employees at the Sheriff's Office no matter how other people felt. Because of that I admired and respected him even more. He was a true friend of the employees and represented all citizens. He will be greatly missed."
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire