SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Longtime Sullivan County Commissioner Wayne McConnell died Saturday night.
Sullivan County Mayor Steve Godsey confirmed the news Sunday evening.
McConnell served on the county commission for more than 25 years.
According to Oak Hill Funeral Home in Kingsport, visitation will be held from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday.
Funeral services will be conducted at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 in the J. Wayne Hamilton Memorial Chapel of Oak Hill Funeral Home.
Graveside services will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday in Oak Hill Memorial Park.
Sullivan County Sheriff Wayne Anderson released a statement about McConnell's death: "He was an awesome employee as well as a great friend. As a commissioner he always stood up for the employees at the Sheriff's Office no matter how other people felt. Because of that I admired and respected him even more. He was a true friend of the employees and represented all citizens. He will be greatly missed."
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane