SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Longtime Sullivan County Commissioner Wayne McConnell died Saturday night.
Sullivan County Mayor Steve Godsey confirmed the news Sunday evening.
McConnell served on the county commission for more than 25 years.
According to Oak Hill Funeral Home in Kingsport, visitation will be held from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday.
Funeral services will be conducted at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 in the J. Wayne Hamilton Memorial Chapel of Oak Hill Funeral Home.
Graveside services will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday in Oak Hill Memorial Park.
Sullivan County Sheriff Wayne Anderson released a statement about McConnell's death: "He was an awesome employee as well as a great friend. As a commissioner he always stood up for the employees at the Sheriff's Office no matter how other people felt. Because of that I admired and respected him even more. He was a true friend of the employees and represented all citizens. He will be greatly missed."
- Updated Washington County, Virginia man charged with rape of child
- New EPA, USDA announces initiative to help bring broadband service to Erwin
- Updated Previously missing Russell County woman found unharmed in Georgia
- Major decision expected Wednesday in relation to proposed Gray methadone clinic
- One dead, one seriously injured in Smyth County hit-and-run