UPDATE, 4:15 p.m.
Sullivan County Tennessee Public Schools have announced their closure on Monday and Tuesday, February 13 and 14, due to illness.
Hawkins County Tennessee Public Schools will be closed on Monday and Tuesday, February 13 and 14, due to a variety of illnesses, school officials announced Friday.
A representative told News 5 that influenza and Norovirus or stomach ailments have caused an increase in student absences and has begun to affect other school personnel including teachers.
The closure marks a continuing trend in east Tennessee with several systems west of Hawkins County closing, some for the remainder of the week, due to the large number of students and instructors with illness.
- Updated UPDATE: TBI identifies shooting victim in Piney Flats incident
- New Investigators say D.B. Cooper letter confirms suspect, FBI cover-up
- Former Virginia death row inmate granted parole
- Hummus recalled over possible bacterial contamination
- School board facing time, money constraints to renovate Jonesborough school