BLUFF CITY, Tenn. - Girl Scouts in our area have temporarily lost use of a very valuable resource, and there is a chance they could lose it permanently.
Camp Sky-Wa-Mo has been closed until November of 2013 after the Girl Scout Council of the Southern Appalachians did a site assessment on three existing camps. We're told they found the one in our area needs the most maintenance and renovation.
Theresa Shaw and other local Girl Scout leaders are calling on the public to save the camp. "We need to do something about that and not just sell it," Shaw said. "If we sell it here in Johnson City, it is gone forever. That's what I keep saying -- if they sell it, it is gone. We can never get it back."
The fate of Camp Sky-Wa-Mo is still being decided by the council.
If you would like to voice your opinion, visit girlscoutcsa.org.
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire