SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Sullivan County fire crews told us an elderly man escaped flames just before they arrived at his home in the Cherokee National Forest.
The 421 fire department was called to Patty Branch Rd. around 10 a.m. Friday morning.
Green Springs fire department joined them at the scene to add more water and manpower.
421 fire chief Allen Crowe told us the nearest hydrant was 5 miles away. "I think we're going to make a hole in the back to access some fire back there," he told us at the scene.
The cause of the fire is still unknown.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day