SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Sullivan County fire crews told us an elderly man escaped flames just before they arrived at his home in the Cherokee National Forest.
The 421 fire department was called to Patty Branch Rd. around 10 a.m. Friday morning.
Green Springs fire department joined them at the scene to add more water and manpower.
421 fire chief Allen Crowe told us the nearest hydrant was 5 miles away. "I think we're going to make a hole in the back to access some fire back there," he told us at the scene.
The cause of the fire is still unknown.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane