Sullivan County authorities are investigating the death of a female inmate.
Public information officer Leslie Earhart tells us they received a call just before 5 a.m. on Friday that the woman had stopped breathing. She tells us the staff immediately started CPR.
She was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
Shortly after, authorities say a second inmate was taken to the hospital with chest pains. They say she will return to jail upon her release.
Officials believe both may have potentially overdosed.
The body of the inmate that died was sent for an autopsy.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- Updated Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect
- Southwest VA school gets national recognition