SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - The Sullivan County District Attorney, Barry Staubus and fellow Tennessee DAs have kicked off a statewide anti-drug campaign.
The campaign is called Deceptive Danger and we learned it has to help educate youth on prescription and synthetic drugs.
We are told youth may think these drugs are safe because they are prescribed by a doctor or bought at a convenience store. Staubus tells News 5 he believes the drugs are coming in from other states and with this program, he hopes to set an example.
"We hope to be a model for other states and show that there are changes that need to be made with the laws to make them effective against synthetic drugs," said Staubus.
Staubus said they have seen a decrease in synthetic drug activity, but an increase in prescription drug abuse.
- Sheriff: Social media rumors concerning Northwood High School being investigated
- Gone without a trace, Honaker man missing for a week
- Bogus Bills Bust: Washington County TN nab another counterfeit cash criminal
- Local healthcare leaders, educators discuss upcoming changes to Affordable Care Act
- For Weston: 'Feed the Fire' honors Kingsport boy's dream