SULLIVAN COUNTY, TENN. - Boone Lake is 14 feet below the normal winter level due to the need for some maintenance on the dam.
The Tennessee Valley Authority says that cables and chains are due to be replaced on the intake gates that let water pour through the turbines as well as the spillway gates that are used in case of high water.
Repair crews have started the work and it is expected to be completed by mid-February. The lake will then be returned to its normal winter level.
Boone Lake is currently at a level of about 1,348 feet above sea level.
The TVA says now is also a good time for property owners that live near the lake, to do repairs.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect