BRISTOL, Tenn. - A body was discovered in a wooded area in Bristol, Tennessee Wednesday morning. View photos from the scene
Washington County, Virginia Sheriff Fred Newman confirmed they have detectives in Bristol working to see if this body might be that of a missing person they've been looking for the past few weeks; Donald Cross.
Bristol, Tennessee police told us they received a call of a body found by someone walking through a wooded area behind the Scotchman convenience store off Stafford Street.
Investigators said the body appears to be a white male.
Police said the body was clothed, but they could not say how long it might have been in the wooded area.
Detectives told News 5 it's too early to tell if foul play was involved.
Right now, authorities are working to identify the body. "We found some identification and things like that; business cards [specifically]. We'll start tracking down leads and determine who this person was," said Investigator Brian Hess with the Bristol, Tennessee Police Department.
Police said the body is being sent to ETSU for an autopsy.
We'll bring you more information as we learn it.
- New Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- New Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31