BRISTOL, Tenn. - A body was discovered in a wooded area in Bristol, Tennessee Wednesday morning. View photos from the scene
Washington County, Virginia Sheriff Fred Newman confirmed they have detectives in Bristol working to see if this body might be that of a missing person they've been looking for the past few weeks; Donald Cross.
Bristol, Tennessee police told us they received a call of a body found by someone walking through a wooded area behind the Scotchman convenience store off Stafford Street.
Investigators said the body appears to be a white male.
Police said the body was clothed, but they could not say how long it might have been in the wooded area.
Detectives told News 5 it's too early to tell if foul play was involved.
Right now, authorities are working to identify the body. "We found some identification and things like that; business cards [specifically]. We'll start tracking down leads and determine who this person was," said Investigator Brian Hess with the Bristol, Tennessee Police Department.
Police said the body is being sent to ETSU for an autopsy.
We'll bring you more information as we learn it.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone