SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - A Bluff City man is accused of trying to kill his mother and assaulting five people, including three officers, during a domestic disturbance.
An affidavit states 35-year-old Lesley Cole became violent after he went into his bedroom to grab a gun.
The report said Cole's friend and mother went after him and tried to stop what they thought might be a suicide.
Sullivan County sheriff's deputies said Cole is accused of going at his mother with a knife and attempting to strangle her.
When police arrived, officials said he lunged at officers with a baton and struggled with them.
Officers also told us he had a lighter and what appeared to be a pipe bomb in his hand.
Sullivan County's public information officer Leslie Earhart said, "Mr. Cole has been in trouble before. In fact, he was in our jail last year for assaulting his mother. I'm not sure what started this particular argument. I know witnesses at the scene said he had been depressed, so we're not exactly sure what caused him to snap."
Officials said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is handling the pipe bomb investigation.
Cole is charged with attempted murder, five counts of aggravated assault, and possession of prohibited weapons.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day