UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - There's a warning from a local Sheriff's Department before you answer your phone, computer hackers are trying to get your personal information.
The Unicoi County Sheriff's Department tells us residents have been reporting calls from unknown numbers, saying their computer has a virus.
The caller asks for personal information like social security numbers, account numbers, even debit-card pin numbers.
"If you have a problem with a computer most of the time you contact a legitimate company to look into your problems with your computer. They won't be calling you, so our advice is not to give out any kind of information to these people," said Sheriff Mike Hensley.
We're told officers are compiling a list of the phone numbers residents are reporting as part of their investigation.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial