UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - There's a warning from a local Sheriff's Department before you answer your phone, computer hackers are trying to get your personal information.
The Unicoi County Sheriff's Department tells us residents have been reporting calls from unknown numbers, saying their computer has a virus.
The caller asks for personal information like social security numbers, account numbers, even debit-card pin numbers.
"If you have a problem with a computer most of the time you contact a legitimate company to look into your problems with your computer. They won't be calling you, so our advice is not to give out any kind of information to these people," said Sheriff Mike Hensley.
We're told officers are compiling a list of the phone numbers residents are reporting as part of their investigation.
- ETSU student arraigned, has November court date
- Endangered Child Alert issued for 13-year-old girl
- Updated Search underway for endangered child and suspected kidnapper
- ETSU protest crasher appears in court, peaceful rally continues on campus
- Tennessee Highway Patrol alerts drivers about gunshots on I-81