UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - There's a warning from a local Sheriff's Department before you answer your phone, computer hackers are trying to get your personal information.
The Unicoi County Sheriff's Department tells us residents have been reporting calls from unknown numbers, saying their computer has a virus.
The caller asks for personal information like social security numbers, account numbers, even debit-card pin numbers.
"If you have a problem with a computer most of the time you contact a legitimate company to look into your problems with your computer. They won't be calling you, so our advice is not to give out any kind of information to these people," said Sheriff Mike Hensley.
We're told officers are compiling a list of the phone numbers residents are reporting as part of their investigation.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting