UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - There's a warning from a local Sheriff's Department before you answer your phone, computer hackers are trying to get your personal information.
The Unicoi County Sheriff's Department tells us residents have been reporting calls from unknown numbers, saying their computer has a virus.
The caller asks for personal information like social security numbers, account numbers, even debit-card pin numbers.
"If you have a problem with a computer most of the time you contact a legitimate company to look into your problems with your computer. They won't be calling you, so our advice is not to give out any kind of information to these people," said Sheriff Mike Hensley.
We're told officers are compiling a list of the phone numbers residents are reporting as part of their investigation.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City