KINGSPORT, Tenn. - U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander made a stop in Kingsport Wednesday and talked about the ongoing crisis developing in Syria.
Senator Alexander says he agrees with Secretary of State John Kerry in calling the situation in Syria a 'moral obscenity'; however he is concerned about how the U.S. should respond.
"I agree that it requires some response, but I want to leave to the president the latitude to make a decision. He needs to consult with the Senate about it and he needs to make sure he doesn't get us involved in a long-term civil war," explains Alexander.
Tennessee's other Senator, Bob Corker, has said he strongly believes the U.S. has to act, but he feels Syrians must take a lead role in dealing with this issue.
- New Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- New Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31