KINGSPORT, Tn. - Police in Sullivan County said three inmates attacked and beat a detainee awaiting trial on a charge of raping a child.
Police said that 35-year-old Robert Owens, 22-year-old Daniel Powell and 34-year-old Derrick Swanson were charged with simple assault.
The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office said the three men covered a security camera, then held down and beat 25-year-old Michael Bear in the Sullivan County Jail while all four were together in a holding cell on Thursday.
Owens was originally arrested by the SCSO on Oct. 26 on charges of drug possession, assault and failure to appear. Powell was booked into the Kingsport jail Sept. 24 on charges of credit card fraud, ID theft and theft from a building. Swanson was arrested Sept. 20 and charged with driving while suspended and assault.
- New Caterpillar confirms plans to cut 80 jobs in Winston-Salem
- Updated Virginia outperforms most states on national science tests
- Updated Warm and dry weather this week causes higher fire danger
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway