KINGSPORT, Tn. - Police in Sullivan County said three inmates attacked and beat a detainee awaiting trial on a charge of raping a child.
Police said that 35-year-old Robert Owens, 22-year-old Daniel Powell and 34-year-old Derrick Swanson were charged with simple assault.
The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office said the three men covered a security camera, then held down and beat 25-year-old Michael Bear in the Sullivan County Jail while all four were together in a holding cell on Thursday.
Owens was originally arrested by the SCSO on Oct. 26 on charges of drug possession, assault and failure to appear. Powell was booked into the Kingsport jail Sept. 24 on charges of credit card fraud, ID theft and theft from a building. Swanson was arrested Sept. 20 and charged with driving while suspended and assault.
- New KPS Global completes $1M expansion in Piney Flats facility
- Exide Technologies withdraws application to reopen, News 5 uncovers dozens of violations in its past
- Southwest Virginia leaders focus on re-entry efforts for inmates
- Wise man who stole ginseng roots given probation
- UPDATE: Bristol assisted living worker pleads guilty to assaulting 94-year-old woman