KINGSPORT, Tn. - Police in Sullivan County said three inmates attacked and beat a detainee awaiting trial on a charge of raping a child.
Police said that 35-year-old Robert Owens, 22-year-old Daniel Powell and 34-year-old Derrick Swanson were charged with simple assault.
The Sullivan County Sheriff's Office said the three men covered a security camera, then held down and beat 25-year-old Michael Bear in the Sullivan County Jail while all four were together in a holding cell on Thursday.
Owens was originally arrested by the SCSO on Oct. 26 on charges of drug possession, assault and failure to appear. Powell was booked into the Kingsport jail Sept. 24 on charges of credit card fraud, ID theft and theft from a building. Swanson was arrested Sept. 20 and charged with driving while suspended and assault.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend