GRAINGER COUNTY, Tenn. - A former East Tennessee police officer, who is now charged with murder, returned to court Wednesday for a preliminary hearing.
Jason Bryan Holt is charged with murder in the shooting deaths of two people during a pharmacy robbery in Bean Station last month.
Police believe Holt shot and killed the owner of Lovell's Down Home Pharmacy, as well as a customer on May 23. Two women were also hurt.
On Wednesday a state prosecutor told a Grainger County judge the store robbery qualifies as a capital crime, but he will not say if the state will seek the death penalty until after the grand jury hears the case.
While the grand jury reviews the case, Holt remains in jail without bond.
- ETSU student arraigned, has November court date
- Endangered Child Alert issued for 13-year-old girl
- Updated Search underway for endangered child and suspected kidnapper
- ETSU protest crasher appears in court, peaceful rally continues on campus
- Tennessee Highway Patrol alerts drivers about gunshots on I-81