GRAINGER COUNTY, Tenn. - A former East Tennessee police officer, who is now charged with murder, returned to court Wednesday for a preliminary hearing.
Jason Bryan Holt is charged with murder in the shooting deaths of two people during a pharmacy robbery in Bean Station last month.
Police believe Holt shot and killed the owner of Lovell's Down Home Pharmacy, as well as a customer on May 23. Two women were also hurt.
On Wednesday a state prosecutor told a Grainger County judge the store robbery qualifies as a capital crime, but he will not say if the state will seek the death penalty until after the grand jury hears the case.
While the grand jury reviews the case, Holt remains in jail without bond.
- Updated US internet disrupted as key firm gets hit by cyberattack
- Updated Pulse Nightclub gates open for unveiling of new memorial
- Early Friday fire in Abingdon sends man to hospital
- School board picks plan for new Boone's Creek school, discusses redistricting issue
- Is the election stressing you out? You're not alone.