KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Kingsport Police are investigating a fatal crash that shut down a busy highway Saturday night.
Police say it happened around 8:15, on Ft. Henry Drive, near South Street after Police tell News 5, a car crossed the center turn lane and hit a Ford SUV which was traveling in the opposite direction. After hitting, police say, both vehicles caught fire.
News 5 has learned, several citizens stopped to help, with two people pulling out the people in the SUV, while the vehicle was still on fire. Police say the person in the car could not be removed because of the flames.
Police say the driver in the car died on the scene. Police say the three people in the SUV were taken to Holston Valley Medical Center, with critical injuries.
The names of the victims have not been released, as officers are notifying family members.
The crash closed down Ft. Henry Drive for several hours. Police say it was reopened around 11pm.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone