NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Officials say a Nashville police officer was killed when he was struck by a motor home on Interstate 65.
The Metropolitan Nashville Police Department said Officer Michael Petrina was directing traffic on the interstate after a vehicle overturned Saturday morning.
Police spokesman Don Aaron said the driver of a motor home, identified as 71-year-old Dean Joseph Diver of Key Largo, Florida, hit Petrina. The officer died at the scene.
No charges have been filed. An investigation is underway.
The last Nashville officer who died in a vehicle-related accident was Christy Dedman on July 19, 2004. An award was created in her name for graduating cadets who showed energy and enthusiasm.
Petrina won the award when he graduated last September.
- Sheriff: Social media rumors concerning Northwood High School being investigated
- Gone without a trace, Honaker man missing for a week
- Bogus Bills Bust: Washington County TN nab another counterfeit cash criminal
- Local healthcare leaders, educators discuss upcoming changes to Affordable Care Act
- For Weston: 'Feed the Fire' honors Kingsport boy's dream