KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Tuesday night, the city of Kingsport recognized 5 men who rescued multiple victims from a fiery collision on Fort Henry Drive near South Street in September.
The men were given certificates for their heroic accomplishment at Kingsport's Board of Mayor and Alderman meeting.
"It means everything to me to give these awards to these people that save lives and it's just a small small token of what I hope is the appreciation of what we are showing on behalf of the Board of Mayor and Alderman on behalf of every citizens of Kingsport," said Kingsport Mayor Dennis Phillips.
Kingsport Police determined the driver of the vehicle who struck the family's SUV was going at a high rate of speed just before the accident.
The crash claimed the lives of two people.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon