KINGSPORT, Tenn. - As Mountain States Health Alliance continues contract negotiations with BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, the insurance provider has signed an agreement with Wellmont Health System.
We learned Wellmont signed an 18-month contract extension with BlueCross BlueShield through mid-2015.
The agreement maintains access to care at all Wellmont hospitals for BlueCross members, keeping services 'in-network'.
Wellmont's Chief Financial Officer Alice Pope told News 5 while negotiations are never easy, they were able to come to terms. "Whatever rates that we give to the insurance company are passed along to either the consumer or to the local employers. So, it's our intent to be paid a reasonable amount for our services, but at the same time, we don't want to take advantage of our customers or local employees," Pope explained.
Mountain States Health Alliance's original contract with BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee is now set to expire June 30.
- Updated Umpire at Little League World Series is from Abindgon
- Updated Take a two-day train excursion through West Virginia
- Updated Workforce development grant providing students training opportunities
- Local kids get an educational tour of the Appalachian Fair
- Lee County man sentenced to 13 years for sexual assault against minor