KINGSPORT, Tenn. - As Mountain States Health Alliance continues contract negotiations with BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, the insurance provider has signed an agreement with Wellmont Health System.
We learned Wellmont signed an 18-month contract extension with BlueCross BlueShield through mid-2015.
The agreement maintains access to care at all Wellmont hospitals for BlueCross members, keeping services 'in-network'.
Wellmont's Chief Financial Officer Alice Pope told News 5 while negotiations are never easy, they were able to come to terms. "Whatever rates that we give to the insurance company are passed along to either the consumer or to the local employers. So, it's our intent to be paid a reasonable amount for our services, but at the same time, we don't want to take advantage of our customers or local employees," Pope explained.
Mountain States Health Alliance's original contract with BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee is now set to expire June 30.
- Updated Justin Timberlake on Tenn. voting controversy: "I had no idea."
- Updated Woman pleads guilty in Tenn. drag racing case
- Man arrested for trying pay with $1 bill altered to look like a $20
- Wife who says lottery is waste of money wins $1 million
- Mistrial for men accused of beating NASCAR's Mike Wallace