KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Wellmont Health Systems has reached an agreement with United Healthcare -- that means patients with United Healthcare's Medicare Advantage plans can continue to use Wellmont's hospitals in Tennessee and Virginia.
That contract was due to expire on Monday. Earlier letters let beneficiaries know that unless something was worked out, patients would not be able to use Wellmont facilities under United Healthcare's insurance.
Todd Norris, senior vice president at Wellmont, told us more about the deal. "We are very happy at Wellmont that we were able to work out something with United Healthcare that would allow a seamless transition and a continuation of care for our patients that have United Medicare Advantage and some of the AARP plans associated with united healthcare," he said.
20,000 patients across our region in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia use United Healthcare at Wellmont facilities.
- Red carpet rolled out in Bristol for the movie premiere of 'Believe'
- Rime ice caps area mountain tops just days after record highs
- Hundreds supported breast cancer at Tri-Cities Race for the Cure
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy