KINGSPORT, Tenn. - UPDATE: The Kingsport Police Department says the 12-year-old boy who was critically injured in the Aug. 29 crash on East Stone Drive has died.
The police department was notified by the Knoxville Medical Examiner's Office that the boy died at the University of Tennessee Medical Center around 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.
Charges are pending against the driver who police say slammed into the back of a stopped minivan in Kingsport Wednesday, injuring a woman and her two children.
It happened along 11-W in front of the Target shopping center. Police tell us the van was in the turn lane waiting to make the turn from East Stone Drive when the van was hit from behind and pushed into oncoming traffic, where it was struck by two other cars.
We are told the driver of the van and a 10-year-old passenger were seriously hurt. A 12-year-old passenger is in critical condition.
Police tell us both children were flown to another hospital Wednesday night.
Officers say Catherine Arnold was driving the SUV that failed to stop, hitting the van. Charges are pending against Arnold.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane