KINGSPORT, Tenn. - This year's walk to defeat ALS is coming up Saturday, October 12th at Warrior's Path State Park. It's the 9th year for the fundraiser.
Last year Team Timp raised the most money of any team in Tennessee for the walk to defeat ALS.
Phil Timp was diagnosed with ALS in 2011. He died October 1st at home surrounded by family and friends.
The walk organizer tells us each year the crowd grows, and much of that credit goes to Timp and his team.
"He did more than our whole committee of a few volunteers could do. He was just driven to tell everyone he could about ALS, about the fact that there's no known cause or cure at this point and that there's a need for a cause and a cure," says walk organizer Brenda Hrivnak.
For more information about this year's walk visit: http://web.alsa.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=9246
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane