Kingsport, Tenn. - If you've traveled along Interstate 81 just below Kingsport recently, then you know how difficult it is to dodge all the potholes.
But that problem will soon be fixed. Crews have started repaving the south bound lanes this week between the Kingsport exit and the Jearoldstown exit. That road will be shut down to one lane. The good news is most of the work will be done at night.
David Lewis, TDOT District Superintendent, tells us the pavement gets worn out over time and starts cracking. When gets water under it, it freezes and that pushes up the pavement, creating potholes.
Once the southbound lanes are complete, the crews will begin repaving the north bound lanes.
Motorists are asked to slow down in that work zone.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake