KINGSPORT, Tenn. - UPDATE 5:30:
The name of a Kingsport City Jail inmate who died while in custody has been released. Police tell us 39-year-old Michael Baker was arrested Monday morning on vandalism charges.
A Kingsport jail inmate dies and now, authorities are investigating to find out what happened.
Kingsport Police say the man was arrested Monday morning on vandalism charges. Police responded to Allen Drive because of "aggressive and erratic behavior." After being booked into the jail, police say the man continued to be aggressive. Jailers said they delayed his processing until he calmed, but continued to check on him periodically.
Police Chief David Quillen tells News 5, around 5 o'clock Tuesday morning, jail workers found the man to be unresponsive.
That man has not yet been identified. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is now investigating his death.
- Historic U.S. Army recruitment effort increase underway
- More sponsors for measure to repeal HB2, keep restrictions
- West Virginia Senate would penalize sharing explicit images
- Authorities investigating Carter County pharmacy armed robbery
- Tennessee man faces negligent homicide charge in toddler's death