KINGSPORT, Tenn. - UPDATE 12:26 p.m.: (Information from KPD) As of 12:15 PM, all lanes of Interstate 26 have been reopened. The three separate motor vehicle collisions involved a total of seven vehicles. All three crashes involved a vehicle rear-ending the vehicle ahead of it.
UPDATE 12:02 p.m.: (Information from KPD) As of 11:45 AM, officers on scene have determined that there were actually three separate motor vehicle collisions. Fortunately, only one person received minor injuries, and that individual was treated and released at the scene. One lane of eastbound Interstate 26 has been reopened; however, traffic in the area is still heavily congested. Motorists are encouraged to continue to avoid the area and seek an alternate route. Officers anticipate being able to fully open all lanes of Interstate 26 within the hour.
Traffic is stalled on Interstate 26 this afternoon after multi-car wrecks.
Kingsport Police tell News 5 it happened just before 11 AM, on eastbound I-26, near the Eastern Star Road exit.
Police tell us as many as eight vehicles may be involved in two back-to-back wrecks, and there is a possibility of injuries.
Right now, traffic has been suspended in the eastbound lanes. Police encourage drivers to avoid the area, and take an alternate route until the interstate is reopened.
- Updated Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project