KINGSPORT, Tenn. - The SBK (Sullivan, Bluff City, Kingsport) animal shelter needs donations of dog food, blankets and cleaning supplies.
The Kingsport shelter has over 200 dogs; together they eat about 400 pounds of dog food a day.
Ideally, the shelter would like to build up a supply of dog food so that when donations run low, they won't have to dip into the general fund to buy more food.
Girl Scout troop 84 showed up Thursday with 300 pounds of dog food.
Shelter manager Donna Davidson says she hopes more organizations pitch in. "[Food] goes quick, we can never have too much," said Davidson. "We can also use blankets for the dogs on cold winter nights. It also gives them a sense of security."
Davidson is hoping that people will get into the spirit of Thanksgiving by helping the four-legged friends.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane