SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - A sinkhole in a Kingsport area neighborhood is being repaired along with a broken water main.
The sinkhole on Boone Ridge Road was the size of a car and was formed because of a broken water main. The Sullivan County Highway Department believes the water has been leaking for weeks, eroding the foundation.
Witnesses say the hole opened after a large garbage truck passed over it.
Crews filled the hole with rock and gravel. They will wait a few days for the rock to settle before permanently patching the hole with concrete and asphalt.
The hole has been cordoned off to traffic.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial