SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - A sinkhole in a Kingsport area neighborhood is being repaired along with a broken water main.
The sinkhole on Boone Ridge Road was the size of a car and was formed because of a broken water main. The Sullivan County Highway Department believes the water has been leaking for weeks, eroding the foundation.
Witnesses say the hole opened after a large garbage truck passed over it.
Crews filled the hole with rock and gravel. They will wait a few days for the rock to settle before permanently patching the hole with concrete and asphalt.
The hole has been cordoned off to traffic.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect