KINGSPORT, Tenn. - The City of Kingsport will be getting a makeover with two new development projects.
Assistant City Manager Jeff Fleming says there's a lot of interest to add business to Stone Drive, like restaurants or a specialty shopping center. The old IGA building downtown could also be turned into an apartment complex.
"I think the really interesting part of all this is the public assumes that the city is really providing big incentives for this to happen, and that's just not the case," Fleming told us. "The market conditions are such that it is now economically viable for people to buy buildings, tear them down, and replace them with new developments."
Fleming also tells us they need to talk with IGA about their lease to start development on that site.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Updated Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death