KINGSPORT, Tenn. - You'd never expect a shooting to happen at your workplace but a local company is making sure you know what to do if it happens.
John Rose, with Holston International Training and Consulting, gave safety tips to a group at the Kingsport Chamber of Commerce on Thursday.
He told us he wants professionals to know how to protect themselves during the three to five minutes it takes law enforcement to arrive.
Rose told the group it all comes down to escaping and evading.
"If you can create distance between you and the shooter, run away go to somewhere safer and escape out of the danger zone, oftentimes that is the best avenue of escape," Rose said.
He said next you should try to keep a barricade between you and the shooter.
Rose told the group violence usually comes down to someone trying to regain power.
- Updated Southwest Virginia man dies after being hit by car
- Hawkins EMS remains only service during feasibility study
- College students voice opinions on presidential debate
- Bristol, Tenn. household divided over presidential election
- Sale of the old mill property still planning to go through after fire