KINGSPORT, Tenn. - You'd never expect a shooting to happen at your workplace but a local company is making sure you know what to do if it happens.
John Rose, with Holston International Training and Consulting, gave safety tips to a group at the Kingsport Chamber of Commerce on Thursday.
He told us he wants professionals to know how to protect themselves during the three to five minutes it takes law enforcement to arrive.
Rose told the group it all comes down to escaping and evading.
"If you can create distance between you and the shooter, run away go to somewhere safer and escape out of the danger zone, oftentimes that is the best avenue of escape," Rose said.
He said next you should try to keep a barricade between you and the shooter.
Rose told the group violence usually comes down to someone trying to regain power.
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project